Social & Extracurricular
Competitive Sport, Social Sport
The Sancta community encourages sport as an aspect of student life. You may participate socially or competitively at Inter-college or University level.
The College competes in the ‘Intercollegiate Rosebowl Competition’ against the other colleges; Women’s, St John’s, St Andrew’s and Wesley. The competition consists of eight sports; rowing, swimming, netball, hockey, tennis, softball, athletics and basketball.
Sancta supporters wear our colours of ‘red and white’ for cheering on the teams!
A Victory Dinner is held on the occasion of winning a Rosebowl sport.
For those who prefer less serious sport, Sancta participates in a local netball competition.
There is often an opportunity for a ‘spontaneous’ and friendly soccer game among students in our own “backyard”, St John’s oval. There is also the real possibility of a quick game of tennis or basketball on our own private courts!
You may also choose to participate in the University of Sydney sporting teams. From these teams, outstanding participants are chosen to represent the University of Sydney at the ‘Inter-University Games’.
The Sports Dinner is an opportunity to recognise the outstanding contribution made by students to the sporting life of the College – considered an integral aspect of College life. Organised by the student body, the Dining Hall is transformed into a world of celebration, with themes permeating the decorations and dress of our students. Awards are presented to outstanding participants and contributors.
University sporting facilities
- The College is only minutes walk from the extensive sporting facilities on the campus of the University of Sydney. The University’s facilities include several ovals, Sports Centres and a pool.
- The Sports and Aquatic Centre has a 50 metre heated Olympic Pool, aerobics room, cardio and weights room, multipurpose sports hall, six tennis courts and five squash courts.
- The Arena Sports Centre has a weight and cardio-vascular room, the Ledge Climbing Centre, a hockey square, squash courts, and an activities hall.
- The HK Ward Gym possesses a martial arts facility, a multipurpose sports hall, a boxing gym and group fitness studio.
- The rowing sheds are nearby and sailing is also available through the University.