The whole community of Sancta Sophia College warmly congratulates Sister Mary Shanahan RSCJ OAM, who has been recognised for her immense contribution to society with a Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2019.
Sr Shan is awarded the Medal for her service to tertiary education, and as a mentor of young students. Her connection with Sancta Sophia College extends over 60 years:
- Chaplain, current.
- Honorary Fellow, since 1992
- Principal, 1983-1992.
- Councillor and Vice-Principal, 1959-1967.
- Dean of Students, 1957.
- Arts Student 1955-1957
- Arts Teacher, 1955-1957.
Capturing what Sr Shanahan means to our Sancta community, a former student Elizabeth Hannan said the following at the celebration of Sr Shan’s 90th birthday:
“She is lion-hearted, though small in stature…The Shan we love understands that young people can be thoughtless and self-absorbed – and she forgives us, though we aren’t so young anymore. She is gentle, and humble, and funny, and so wise. Above all, she has grace – and, for many of us, she is as close to God on this earth as we have ever felt.”
Sr Shanahan has had a distinguished career as a member of the Society of the Sacred Heart:
- Coordinator of Integrating Faith and Life Program, since 2010.
- Staff and Parent Resource Consultant, Claremont Cottage, since 2002.
- Staff and Parent Resources, Kincoppal0Road Bay School of the Sacred Heart, 2005-
- Former Board Member, Kincoppal-Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart.
- Superior, Karlaminda/Kensington Hostel, 1993-2000.
- Sabbatical, Religious of the Sacred Heart, Wollongong, 1992.
- Assistant-General, Central Administration, Mother House, Rome, 1978-1982.
- Provincial, Provincial House, Mosman, 1972-1976.
- Provincial, Australian New Zealand Province of the Society of the Sacred Heart, since
- Principal, Duchesne College, University of Queensland, 1967-1971.
- Class Mistress (Secondary), Rose Bay, 1953.
- Juniorate, Rose Bay, 1949-1950.
Sr Shan is also recognised for her time at Stuartholme:
- Mistress General, 1958.
- Class Mistress, 1954 at Montpellier France.
- Class Mistress (Secondary), 1950-1953.